Apple recently launched the Powerbeats Pro ‘totally wireless earphones‘ after first teasing them in March. The Powerbeats Pro launch comes just a few weeks after Apple unveiled the AirPods 2 with a new H1 headphone chip and longer battery life. The Powerbeats Pro is notably more expensive than the AirPods 2 but does it offer additional features that make it worth the price? How is it better than the AirPods? Find out in this comparison.
Powerbeats Pro vs AirPods 2 Comparison: What’s the Difference
How They Are Similar
- The Powerbeats Pro and AirPods 2 are both truly wireless Bluetooth earbuds. This means the left and right pair of buds talk to each other wirelessly and are not connected to each other using a wire.
- They both ship with a charging case that can extend their total listening time to over 24 hours.
- Both wireless earbuds offer always-on “Hey Siri” recognition.
- Powerbeats Pro and AirPods 2 use Apple’s new H1 headphone chip for improved battery life, lower latency, and better wireless connection.
- The earbuds of both products can be used as a standalone unit.
- Music playback can be controlled on the Powerbeats Pro and AirPods 2 directly by interacting with the earbuds.
- Both Bluetooth earbuds will stop playing music automatically when you take them off your ears.
- They can seamlessly connect to your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
How They Are Different
There’s a lot of difference between the Powerbeats Pro and the AirPods 2.
Design and Sound Quality
- The Powerbeats Pro have an in-ear ear hook design which means they have a more secure fit than the 2nd gen AirPods.
- Each AirPod 2 unit is lighter than the Powerbeats Pro.
- Powerbeats Pro is meant for athletes so they are water and sweat resistant, unlike the AirPods.
- Powerbeats Pro is available in four different colors — Ivory, Moss, Navy, and Black
- 2nd gen AirPods are only available in white.
- AirPods have a more discrete and convenient design while the Powerbeats Pro offers a more secure and comfortable fit.
- Powerbeats Pro offers better sound quality. It has a wider dynamic range and offers noise isolation.
- AirPods 2 offer mediocre sound quality.
Battery Life and Charging Case
- The Powerbeats Pro offers up to 9 hours of listening time on a single charge
- AirPods 2 last for 5 hours on a single charge.
- Both Bluetooth earbuds will last for more than 24 hours with the included charging case.
- The AirPods 2 ship with an optional wireless charging case.
- The Powerbeats Pro charging case only offers wired charging. It has a Lightning connector.
- There’s no fast charging on the Powerbeats Pro
- The AirPods 2 start from $159, with the variant with the optional wireless charging case available for $199
- The Powerbeats Pro is available for $249.99.
The Powerbeats Pro is more expensive than the AirPods 2 but it offers a secure fit, longer battery life, better sound quality, and a water-resistant design. These are things that many AirPods customers wished the AirPods 2 had and Apple is giving it to them in the form of the Powerbeats Pro.
In a nutshell, the Powerbeats Pro seems to have everything that people wished the AirPods 2 packed. It does come at a steep price but if you value better sound quality and water-resistant design, that’s the way to go.